The Birmingham Project: Mary Parker and Caela Cowan
- 2012 Medium:
- Inkjet print Dimensions:
- 41 1/8 X 33 1/8 Accession Number:
- P2015.119.A-B Artwork Credits:
- Amon Carter Museum of American Art, Fort Worth, Texas
- What is the role of artists in helping to process local and national events?
- Is there a difference between memorializing a traumatic event and processing it?
- How does time and context change the way we think about historical events?
- What advantages does photography have in documenting lives and events? Disadvantages?
Suggested Activities (4th-12 grade)
Ask students to connect with an older person, either a family member or someone from their local or school community, who experienced an event that is of interest to the student. Encourage students to have a conversation with that person, informed by questions that they have prepared in advance. Students can create a recording or a transcript to document the conversation. Have students write a reflection about how their ideas about the event changed as a result of the conversation.