Cowboy Photographer: Erwin E Smith
SEARCH
About Erwin E Smith  Teaching ResourcesCollection Guide









   Bar Diamond Bar
   Cross B, Tex.
   ED, Tex.
   JA, Tex.
   LS, Tex.
   LS - panoramas
   Matador, Tex.
   Matador - panoramas
   Shoe Bar, Tex.
   SMS, Tex.
   Spur, Tex.
   Three Circles, Tex.
   Turkey Track, Tex.
   Bar W, N. Mex.
   Three Block, N. Mex.
   OR Ranch, Ariz.
   Other Ranches




Ranches | Matador - panoramas
page 1 | 2 | 3
The Matador Ranch lies on the upper watershed of Middle Pease and South Pease Rivers and includes some of the finest watering places in West Texas. The headquarters of the ranch and all its original camps were established in close proximity to springs and water holes that could furnish an abundant supply of water for the camp and cattle. In 1879 Judge Henry H. "Paint" Campbell acquired the homesteading and water rights to 160 acres in the area and founded the Matador Ranch. In 1891 Campbell and his associates laid out the town of Matador, which subsequently became the seat of Motley County. Campbell was elected first county judge. Smith photographed Campbell in front of the dugout that was the original ranch headquarters.


LC-S611-617

LC-S611-603

LC-S611-618

LC-S611-604

LC-S611-608

LC-S611-607

LC-S611-613

LC-S611-622

LC-S611-620

LC-S611-621

LC-S611-600

LC-S611-605
  page 1 | 2 | 3
creditscopyrightcontact usamon carter museum web site
Made possible through generosity of Erwin E Smith Foundation
ACM logo