Cowboy Photographer: Erwin E Smith
SEARCH
About Erwin E Smith  Teaching ResourcesCollection Guide









   Bar Diamond Bar
   Cross B, Tex.
   ED, Tex.
   JA, Tex.
   LS, Tex.
   LS - panoramas
   Matador, Tex.
   Matador - panoramas
   Shoe Bar, Tex.
   SMS, Tex.
   Spur, Tex.
   Three Circles, Tex.
   Turkey Track, Tex.
   Bar W, N. Mex.
   Three Block, N. Mex.
   OR Ranch, Ariz.
   Other Ranches




Ranches | LS, Tex.
page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13
The LS Ranch was established in 1879, near Tascosa in Oldham County, by W. M. D. Lee and Lucien Scott of Leavenworth, Kansas. From 1905 to 1907, the ranch was owned by Swift & Company of Chicago. Shortly before Smith photographed there, C. T. Herring purchased the ranch. Foreman Zack Burkett allowed Smith to photograph the summer branding activity along the Canadian River. Smith made many portraits of the cowboys, either on horseback or standing next to their mounts. Burkett was especially impressed by Smith's manner of capturing the horse "standing in a natural position, with one hip lower than the other—at ease, one might say."


LC-S59-142

LC-S59-144

LC-S59-147

LC-S59-151

LC-S59-150

LC-S59-103

LC-S59-149

LC-S59-143

LC-S59-146

LC-S59-148

LC-S59-160

LC-S59-056
  page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13
creditscopyrightcontact usamon carter museum web site
Made possible through generosity of Erwin E Smith Foundation
ACM logo