Cowboy Photographer: Erwin E Smith
SEARCH
About Erwin E Smith  Teaching ResourcesCollection Guide









   Bar Diamond Bar
   Cross B, Tex.
   ED, Tex.
   JA, Tex.
   LS, Tex.
   LS - panoramas
   Matador, Tex.
   Matador - panoramas
   Shoe Bar, Tex.
   SMS, Tex.
   Spur, Tex.
   Three Circles, Tex.
   Turkey Track, Tex.
   Bar W, N. Mex.
   Three Block, N. Mex.
   OR Ranch, Ariz.
   Other Ranches




Ranches | JA, Tex.
page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
The JA Ranch is the oldest privately owned cattle operation in the Texas Panhandle. Its beginnings can be traced to 1876, when Charles Goodnight drove 1,600 longhorn cattle from Pueblo, Colorado, to the Palo Duro Canyon. Once there, he established a ranch near the Red River in southwestern Armstrong County. English aristocrat John G. Adair furnished the capital Goodnight needed to build the ranch. When Smith photographed there in 1906, Adair's widow, Cornelia, was prominent in European social circles, and the ranch frequently hosted foreign visitors. That summer, Robert Faure, the nephew of the president of France, was visiting.


LC-S59-545

LC-S59-182

LC-S59-175

LC-S59-180

LC-S59-543

LC-S59-549

LC-S59-546

LC-S59-548

LC-S59-547

LC-S59-544

LC-S6-079

LC-S6-319
  page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
creditscopyrightcontact usamon carter museum web site
Made possible through generosity of Erwin E Smith Foundation
ACM logo