Cowboy Photographer: Erwin E Smith
SEARCH
About Erwin E Smith  Teaching ResourcesCollection Guide









   Bar Diamond Bar
   Cross B, Tex.
   ED, Tex.
   JA, Tex.
   LS, Tex.
   LS - panoramas
   Matador, Tex.
   Matador - panoramas
   Shoe Bar, Tex.
   SMS, Tex.
   Spur, Tex.
   Three Circles, Tex.
   Turkey Track, Tex.
   Bar W, N. Mex.
   Three Block, N. Mex.
   OR Ranch, Ariz.
   Other Ranches




Ranches | Bar W, N. Mex.
page 1
Near Carrizozo, New Mexico, in historic Lincoln County, the Bar W Ranch was once owned by Thomas B. Catron, leader of the infamous Santa Fe Ring. This group of old-guard politicos controlled land and business operations in the territory of New Mexico. When Smith photographed there in 1908, W. C. McDonald, who would become the first governor of New Mexico, owned the spread and the Carrizozo Cattle Ranch Company. The boss of the outfit, Pete Johnson, was a veteran Texan cowhand. Only a few of the photographs Smith made there have survived.


LC-S59-301

LC-S59-574

LC-S6-055

LC-S6-056

LC-S6-376

LC-S6-475

LC-S6-511

LC-S59-287

LC-S6-476

LC-S6-137

LC-S6-152

LC-S6-167
  page 1
creditscopyrightcontact usamon carter museum web site
Made possible through generosity of Erwin E Smith Foundation
ACM logo